Sometimes problems occur with a landscaping project; this may be as a result of poor communication, poor workmanship or issues beyond our control.

Regardless, whilst as an Association we cannot guarantee our members individually, we do endeavour to assist the client and our members reach a resolution that everyone can feel happy with should a problem arise. Landscaping Victoria encourages all of its members to listen to their clients concerns and work to address them. If this is not working our advice is to follow these steps:

  • Talk to the landscaper - if your relationship is still amicable this is the easiest, fastest and usually the most cost efficient way to resolve the issue.
  • If the relationship has soured and you require assistance in approaching the landscaper contact us. If the landscaper is one of our members we will gladly speak to them on your behalf.
  • If there is a disagreement over the nature of the problem, we suggest that you seek independent advice. This independent expert should be able to, without prejudice, identify if and what the problem is and what needs to occur to rectify the problem. A report from an independent expert will assist both you and the landscaper to negotiate the best solution to resolve the issues.  Please contact Landscaping Victoria for contact details of available assessors.
  • Free advice and conciliation on domestic building disputes is available from Building Advice and Conciliation Victoria (BACV) – a service jointly delivered by Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) and the VBA.

If you cannot resolve a building dispute, BACV can offer assistance.

Call BACV on 1300 55 75 59 between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

If Building Advice and Conciliation Victoria (BACV) are assisting you with a domestic building dispute, the VBA may be asked to conduct a technical inspection to help resolve the items in dispute.

A BACV inspection report may be undertaken if:

  • a domestic building contract was signed on or after 1 July 2002
  • the value of the domestic building work is more than $5,000
  • the BACV conciliator considers it appropriate to resolve the dispute.

Full details on BACV inspections are contained in Section 43F of the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995.

Download a BACV Domestic Building Complaint Form

  1. If the dispute still cannot be resolved and a legal course of action is required the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) is the simplest, cheapest and fastest option.

The Civil Claims List at VCAT deals with consumer/trader disputes under Section 182 of the Australian Consumer Law & Fair Trading Act 2012. If you would like to view more of this Act or obtain further information on the Civil Claims List please visit VCAT's web site

If you intend or are considering lodging an application with VCAT a copy of the form and relevant information is available from our web site.  Alternatively if you contact our Customer Service Section on (03) 9628 9830 one can be sent to you.  

The current fee schedule for lodging applications is available on the VCAT website.

It is important to note that VCAT is not a legal advisory service and staff are not permitted to provide legal advice. The onus is on you to obtain your own legal advice to determine whether or not to proceed with an application at VCAT.

Please refer to VCAT's website for organisations which may be able to provide you with free or low cost legal advice or assistance.

  1. We also encourage you to email your complaint to us. We keep a database of all complaints. It is important for the integrity of all of our members and the industry generally to know and censure operators who consistently attract complaints.
  2. Click here to download a printable version of the above information.
  • Firstname *
  • Surname *
  • Email *
  • Phone Number
  • Comments / Complaints *

If you have concerns about your project and would like to discuss it further please call us on 1300 365 428. We do take complaints seriously.

Image Verification: *
Image Verification - Please enter these numbers into the field on the right